June 11, 2012

Hello!  My name is Sara-Beth Meredith and I teach an ECE Self-Contained class at Rutherford Elementary.  I completed my second year of teaching this year as well as successfully completing KTIP.  I enjoy the challenges of ECE and the unique teaching style that goes along with it.  I also have a masters degree in Educational Counseling, which plays a vital role in my teaching ECE students. 

I am a daughter, sister, wife, and mother.  I have an older brother and younger sister, which makes me the middle child.  I have wonderful, supporting parents who babysit our 2 year old daughter so that we do not have to worry about putting her in daycare.  I have been married for 7 years to an amazing man.  He has made my life an adventure and has shown me how to have fun and enjoy life.  We are building our first home, which will be ready at the end of July.  We are very excited about the new place and look forward to expanding our family in the new home. 

I enjoy reading romance and mystery books.  Unfortunately, I have not read a book in a while.  It has been a long time since I have read a book for me.  My husband and I do read every night to our daughter so I read a lot of Pete the Cat and Dr. Seuss.  When I do get five minutes to myself I usually try to scrapbook or throw myself in a new craft project.  My latest project was a wreath that I made my mom for Mother's Day. I would like to read again for fun, but feel as though I have temporarily lost my love for reading while going through school.  I know my interest for reading will come back and I'm hoping it will start with KRP. 

As an ECE teacher I find that my students have not developed a love for reading because they are struggling readers and find it to be very frustrating.  I want to show them that they can be successful readers and read books that they want to read.  It is a constant battle in my room to get students to read.  It was very difficult to get my students to even read for three minutes because they think it is too hard.  I am anxious to learn new strategies to teach my students to read.  My hope is that I can restore my love for reading as well as create a love for reading for my students. 

1 comment:

Christine said...

We are starting KRP by learning about ways to motivate kids to want to read. I believe matching kids to the right book is critical.

Post a Comment