July 16, 2012

Marilyn's Introduction

Hi, my name is Marilyn Cappo and I work as a teacher of English Language Learners at Kennedy Montessori Elementary.  I've been teaching for JCPS for fourteen years and before that in small Christian schools for tuition credit.  I've home schooled 3 of my children for some of their elementary years.  I enjoy and I am energized (most of the time) by teaching. 

I save all my "for fun" reading for the summer.  My daughter got me started on the Hunger Games, so then I had to read them all.  Blue Like Jazz was great.  I appreciated the writer's honesty about his spiritual search and the non-religious way he went about it.  I re-read A Wrinkle in Time in a literature circle with some 3rd graders.  I love to push the envelope in my thinking so this book was a lot of fun. 

I've been married for thirty-nine years and we have five children (4 boys and 1 girl).  We live out in Crestwood but I work in Jefferson Co.  I love to read, love music and love to cook.  I like movies especially mysteries and sci-fi.  My husband agrees that I'm kind of a movie junkie.   I speak fair Spanish and love just about everything Latino, so teaching English language learners was a good choice for me.

This past year when I used Reader's Theater and plays it really helped my ELL students to gain English proficiency, raise their confidence in speaking and listening and taught them a lot about literacy in the process.  I would like to expand the teaching of writing in the early grades to strengthen this area for  ELL students.
Multicultural Day


No comments:

Post a Comment