May 24, 2012


Choice Words

Our pre-institute reading is Choice Words by Peter Johnston. I chose this book because it powerfully illustrates the importance of the words that we use. Language is essential in establishing a caring, healthy, and intellectually stimulating classroom. As you read the book, please discuss how you might be able to apply what you are reading in your own classroom. What insights or observations can you offer? Do you disagree with any parts of the book? Let's discuss!



1 comment:

Ruth said...

I am most of the way through the book and find it very convicting! I know that how I choose words will either invite more discussion, or shut students down so that they respond only with the "appropriate" response.

I like the openers, "That's like..." and "How else...".
The question "Is that an observation or a conjecture could be changed to "is that an observation or an inference?" Project Wild has a great activity of observation where they use that same question ... and is a good connection between science and literacy.

With my ESL students we have a Wonderful Word wall. Each week my students find a new word that they have learned and then tell the class what the word means. My students love the activity and some try to stump me by finding words that I don't know. I also find a new word each week, usually in Spanish. I was discussing Choice Words with my husband and as an opener for more discussion, he suggested that I ask, "Why is the word wonderful?" I loved that way of talking about the word instead of just defining it!

Post a Comment