May 25, 2012

Lauren Hunter

Hello all!  My name is Lauren Hunter and I am currently a first grade teacher at Southside Elementary in Shelbyville, Ky.  I am in the second year of my teaching career.  We have not received our assignments for next year so be prepared for many questions if I move to another grade level! :)

This past spring break I was lucky enough to vacation in Florida with my mom, dad, and sister.  My sister and mom read The Hunger Games and couldn't stop talking about the adventures and romance.  After feeling left out of the conversation my sister loaned me The Hunger Games and once I started reading I couldn't put it down!  I have been so consumed with reading professional texts for school and grad school that I forgot how much I liked to read for my own enjoyment.  I have tried making more "me" time since spring break but I am not getting through the second book in the series as quickly as the first book.  I hope I can enjoy more books this summer.

The biggest thing happening in my personal life is that I am getting married in October!  Between grad school classes and KRP I will be busy with my mom planning for the big day.  If anyone has special tips I would love to hear them!  My family is spread all over the U.S.  My dad is from Ohio and my mom is from Texas.  My dad was a fighter pilot in the Navy so I was born in California and my sister was born in the Philippines.  We eneded up in Kentucky by the time I was five years old. 

An area of success I have experienced with my students would be perfecting my guided reading group instruction.  I had the opporunity to observe our reading recovery teachers with their CIM groups and adapt my groups to be more effictive. 

One area that I feel I am under teaching would be writing.  I teach first graders so the ability levels of the students are very different.  I have tried several different strategies with my students but I still feel lost with how far I should have my students edit their writing.  I never know when it is okay to leave it alone.  I would love to learn how to make this a strength because I know writing ability is directly linked to literacy achievement. 


5 comments:

KRP said...

Lauren,

Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I know you must be very excited.

I recognize the not having your own reading time. I know that I read more professional books now that I'm not in formal graduate education. I like being able to self-pace as well. I love when I can curl up with the Kindle and read.

Can't wait to meet you!

- Tiffany

Unknown said...

Lauren,
I too struggle with making time for "me" whether it is for reading, exercising or anything. I think that as teachers we are so good at helping others that we forget to help ourselves!! This summer I have made a goal to set aside "me" time which doesn't sound like it should be too hard, but I am taking 3 masters courses as well as KRP! Wedding planning is exciting :) My wedding was over spring break in 2011, so I was planning during the school year as well. My suggestion is to not stress too much about it, it will all fall into place!

Ruth said...

Lauren,
I live in Shelby county too - although I teach in Louisville - or maybe you live in Louisville and teach in Shelby county. We have only lived in the county for the last 5 years.

I hope you find space for yourself this summer too! I finally had to label a day - this is mine!!

Ruth

adyer1 said...

Hey Lauren,
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! That is SO exciting! I too recently read The Hunger Games and I was absolutely addicted! I loved the adventure and I just finished the last book in the series. It was the first time in a long time that I read a book simply for enjoyment. I hope that you are having a great summer! :)

Ashley

Stephanie Whitley said...

Hi Lauren,

I usually don't take any "me" time until after spring break. But, I'm going to attempt to do it more often this year. It's super important and a definitely is needed with our job.

Stephanie Whitley

Post a Comment