May 23, 2012

Stephanie Whitley

Here's a little bit of background infomation about me...


Name:  Stephanie Whitley
School:  Kennedy Montessori (JCPS)
Years of Teaching:  8 (2: JCPS & 6: Indiana)

I've read a ton of books for personal pleasure in the last six months, especially since receiving a Kindle as a gift.  I'm the type of person that is unable to put down a book when I begin.  Even if it's bad, it's almost like an OCD thing and I have to finish it.  I also like to read while in the bathtub and have been known to spend hours turning all cold and pruny, while I attempt to finish a book.  Lord knows what I'll do when I finally have kids, which leads me to something unique about me.... 

I'm unique because I think I'm the only one I know (and my age) that hasn't had a kid yet.  It's taken me a loooonnnng time to feel ready and I'm just now starting to think that it's starting to feel right :). 

As far as a success concerning literacy, I really feel like I was able to establish a good, solid routine for my guided reading groups.  Before coming to Kennedy, I didn't "teach" reading.  In Montessori, teaching reading (in the sense most know) doesn't happen.  Phonics is big in the Montessori curriculum and that's how I usually taught reading. 

I'd really like to improve the way in which I teach writing.  Writing is also an area that the Montessori curriculum tends to overlook and I've not had much practice teaching kidshow to write and I'm finding it soooo difficult. 

2 comments:

KRP said...

Welcome Stephanie!

You certainly will grow to love your Kindle more and more!

Glad you feel confident with the direction your Guided Reading is taking, that is a wonderful step!

I look forward to learning more from you concerning how to use Montessori methods to meet the needs of all learners.

Mary McCubbins said...

I can not put a book down either it must be an ocd thing, or it could be that neither of us have kids interrupting us. :) By reading others' blogs I believe we should get as much leisure reading in now while we can.

Post a Comment