May 23, 2012

Christine Sherretz
Assistant Professor U of L
My Personal Life


 
This is a picture of my family.  My son Joshua just graduated from U of L with a degree in Geography. My son Samuel is going to be a Freshman in Meade County.  He was voted Freshman class president!. The big guy in the middle is my son Kaleb who just graduated from Evangel University with a degree in Music. He also got married on the same day that he graduated!  The handsome guy in the uniform is my husband Scott. We've been married for 25 years!

 
My Professional Life

This is my 5th year at the University of Louisville and my 2nd year as the KRP Director.  I love everything about my job!  I get to teach students at literally all levels from elementary students to graduate students. It doesn't get better than that!  When it comes to literacy instruction, I feel that one strength I have is in motivating students to do the best they can do.  It is really important for me to get students to think deeply about what they are reading and engage in literacy.

It is my desire to be a better writing teacher!  For the last four years, I've worked with 4th grade students and my undergraduate students on writing stories of times they have been resilient.  I'm extremely proud of this work but want to do better next year.  I'm trying to create a classroom library for mentor texts. 

Books I Like to Read

Writing has always been a struggle for me. A friend of mine recommended The Art of War so I'd like to read that book to see if I can unlock the inner writer in me.  Here's information about it. http://www.stevenpressfield.com/the-war-of-art/.  For fun, I love fantasy books and am a big fan of the Hunger Game series. I also love Silas House! When I first read his books I thought he had to be a woman because he just gets how women think! 
Let me know how I can help all of you acomplish your goals in regards to literacy instruction.  I want to work shoulder to shoulder with you in helping all our kids have a joy for reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment