May 25, 2012

Denise Bullock



Hello!  My name is Denise Bullock.  I teach at Shepherdsville Elementary School in Bullitt County.  This past school year, I taught first grade and had a wonderful group of students.  And lucky me, I am moving to 2nd grade next year and will have all of my kiddos again.

About Me

I have been married to my wonderful husband Chad for 18 years.  We have two fabulous children.  Phillip is 16 and is a junior at Bullitt East.  Rachel is 12 and is an 8th grader at Mt. Washington Middle School.  When my children were younger, I worked as a child care provider which enabled me to be with my children on a full-time basis.  When they both entered school, I went back to school also to get my teaching degree.  I started my career as a substitute teacher for Bullitt County Public Schools and just finished my first year of teaching.  I enjoy reading, shopping, and spending time with my family.  We are also building a new home and although it is very stressful, I am having a blast picking out exactly what I want for the house.

My Reads  

I love to read and find it a great way to relax after a crazy day.  I recently completed the Hunger Games series and loved it!  I also love Karen Kingsbury, a Christian Fiction author.  I have read all of her books and just completed her newest one last night. I also read a lot of books to help me in regards to teaching.  I refer often to Reading for Meaning by Debbie Miller and Debbie Diller's book about literacy workstations.  

Literacy in My Classroom

It was amazing to watch the growth of my students as readers!  They loved to read and looked forward to free reading time.  I have learned a lot about literacy this past school year, but there are many areas that want to learn more about.  As part of a pilot program for my school, I taught the thinking strategies for whole group reading.  I love teaching the thinking strategies and hope to learn new methods for introducing them especially since I will have the same group of students again next year.  I am also considering implementing The Daily 5 and would love to learn more about it.  

2 comments:

KRP said...

Denise,

Welcome! Congratulations on completing your first year of teaching. What an exciting experience to be able to loop with your kids. There is much research that supports this being a wonderful educational practice.

I have read "Between Sundays" by Karen Kingsbury, and I enjoyed it greatly.

Good luck with the house, and we'll see you in July!

- Tiffany

lehunt02 said...

Denise,

Congratulations on both completing your first year of teaching and your long marriage!! I am getting married in October and I could use any advice you have on staying happy with your husband :)

I just finished my second year of teaching so I am very similar in teaching experience with you. I also taught first grade and would love to know what you found worked best with your class.

Have a wonderful summer!
Lauren

Post a Comment